Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Rec. #391: From Croydon to Cuba



What: Probably at some point over the recent festive season, you heard The Pogues sing "Fairytale of New York." The female vocalist on that track? That's Kirsty MacColl.

The anthology album From Croydon to Cuba traces MacColl's career from nouveau-girl-group beginnings to the surprise critical darling Tropical Brainstorm.

Representative lyrics:
"I loved you then as I love you still
Though I put you on a pedestal, you put me on the pill
I don't feel bad about letting you go
I just feel sad about letting you know"
--- from "A New England"

You might not like it if: The tragedy of MacColl's death is only heightened when you realize how great her music is. This makes you too sad to enjoy said music.

How to get it: Really, this post was a cheat used for me to recommend Kirsty MacColl's music in general. So go forth and find her music on your various streaming/downloading platforms. 

Connection to previous Wreckage: Shortly before she was killed in 2000, MacColl released her final album, Tropical Brainstorm (Rec. #259).


No comments:

Post a Comment