Saturday, November 30, 2013

List #32: British TV Comedies to Watch on Hulu (for free) --- Part 1 of 3


For many of us, this time of the year isn't about what we want so much as what we don't want

We don't want to spend money and we don't want to think too much. 

So here you go.



[Note: Not all shows are recommended equally. I've starred my favorites.]


*1. Black Books (Rec. #68)

5 key words: bookshop, misanthrope, Dylan Moran, wine

Representative quote: "What did you say to Kate? She thinks I'm the renaissance. She'll think I've lied, I had to go along with all this reclusive genius stuff. She'll be really upset when she finds out I'm a reclusive wanker."



2. Coupling

5 key words: dating, rants, bar, giggle loop

Representative quote: "I don't like to label everything in my medicine cabinet. You'd never have any surprises."



3. Fresh Meat

5 key words: university students, shared house, pubs

Representative quote: "I'll probably end up being Prime Minister or something one day. I don't want to be. It's just, that kind of shit just happens to guys like me."



*4. Green Wing (Rec. #110)

5 key words: hospital, surreal, smoo, no patients

Representative quote:
"How was the interview?"
"Not sure... think I might have used the words 'job,' 'stick,' 'up,' and 'arse' all in one sentence. Is that a bad thing?"
"Well I... I think tone of voice is very important."



*5. Jeeves and Wooster

5 key words: Wodehouse, Fry, Laurie, what ho

Representative quote: [dictating a telegraph] "To Aunt Dehlia: Um, I say, look here, this is absolutely impossible. Not to say, out of the question. Spode has already threatened yours truly. Sorry, and all that. Oh, about the cow creamer, I mean. Anyway there it is. Toodle-pip. Your affectionate nephew, Bertie."



6. Man Stroke Woman

5 key words: sketch comedy, thirtysomethings, sublime idiocy

Representative quote:
"So what's been happening?"
"Well, I got married. And you?"
"Um, well it's a bit of a long story, actually. I moved back in with my parents for awhile, and then late last year ... I became the king of Spain."



[Continue with Part 2 here and Part 3 here.]


No comments:

Post a Comment