Friday, November 15, 2013

Friday Flashback: Rec. #51: Personal Days

I decided to start doing Friday Flashbacks in case you missed some early posts the first time around. You're busy; I understand.


What: Written in the collective "we" (I know, I know, but stay with me), Personal Days is told from the point of view of office workers watching in helpless horror as their company goes through rolling layoffs. In the process, the reader gets an accurate, detailed, sadly humorous picture of day-to-day office life in the big city. 

If this sounds familiar, that's probably because this is pretty much the exact same book as Joshua Ferris's Then We Came to the End. The major difference is that Ed Park made his version eerier, with a twist of suspense at the end. (And that Then We Came to the End got a ton of press and sold a lot more copies.) But, really, the same book. I liked them both, so I'm not complaining.

Representative quote: "We dress like we don't make much money, which is true for at least half of us. The trick is figuring out which half."

You might not like it if: You hated Then We Came to the End.

How to get it: Bookstores, libraries, online. The same goes for the Joshua Ferris version.



[Originally posted 2/19/11.]

No comments:

Post a Comment