Monday, January 31, 2011

Rec. #32: Take the Cannoli


What: We all love Sarah Vowell, right? Well, I'm just reminding you that she exists. And, in my humble opinion, Take the Cannoli is her best --- and most personal --- book. Essay topics include: the Godfather movies (hence the title), driving lessons with Ira Glass, her relationship with her gun-nut father, and a trial run as a goth.

Comparable to: Many of the pieces first appeared on This American Life. So, yes, that.

Representative quote: "Nothing scares me more than driving. I can't even ride a bike without mangling my digits and hitting parked cars. I've always been terrified that I'd get behind the wheel and it would turn into one of those death scenes in a Shangri-Las song with bystanders screaming, 'Lookoutlookoutlookoutlookout!'"

You might not like it if: Um, everyone loves Sarah Vowell, right?

How to get it: Easy to get online or at a library, but it would be a really satisfying find at a used bookstore.

No comments:

Post a Comment