Sunday, January 30, 2011

Rec. #31: Don't Point That Thing at Me


What: Charlie Mortdecai is an art dealer without conscience who finds himself in some, er, . . . challenging situations. [Sidebar: Why is the amoral art dealer such a popular character? I'm facing one of my bookcases now, and I can spot three or four examples of this without moving my head. Hmm, something to contemplate on your Monday.] Anyway, please enjoy Kyril Bonfiglioli's book, which is full of immoral, very sarcastically funny, international hijinks.

Comparable to: Like someone let Dylan Moran loose in a P.G. Wodehouse novel. But with more torture scenes. Oh, do you like the show Archer? You will like this.

Representative quote: "'Idle, intelligent, devious; a survivor,' read the summary of my character on my last school report, and I have not changed."

You might not like it if: Charlie Mortdecai's posh, insider-y references bug you.

How to get it: Hit-or-miss whether your bookstore will have it. Libraries and online sources probably will. Also, look for the sequels: Something Nasty in the Woodshed and After You with the Pistol. Or, you can get all three in one volume (The Mortdecai Trilogy). Someone else also finished a fourth Mortdecai book (The Great Mortdecai Moustache Mystery) after Bonfiglioli died.

3 comments:

  1. This is completely unrelated, but I finished the fourth part of Downton Abbey last night and I think you and I should discuss it. Mostly, I found it uneven and disappointing so by discuss I mean, "Listen to me complain."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a pretty big fan of Mr. Bates and Anna, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't finished the series yet! Discussion pending, though, definitely, I agree.

    ReplyDelete