Friday, January 21, 2011

Rec. #22: Camp


What: In this 2003 movie, a floundering Broadway songwriter goes to work at a musical theater retreat for young performers, but --- and you'll just have to trust me on this --- it is not "Fame goes to summer camp." Although some of the characters are recognizable types (the wallflower, the closet case, the diva, the schemer, the one straight dude), they are all interesting to watch, and the young cast does an amazing job with both the acting and the performance numbers. Oh, and did you think Up in the Air had Anna Kendrick's breakout role? Just watch. She's so good in this, she'll scare you. (Seriously. She's quite scary.)

Comparable to: Well, this is what I wish Glee were, if that helps at all.

Representative quote: "The foundation that's laid here is not going to help you in the real world. It's going to lead to waitressing jobs and bitterness and the obsessive, pointless collecting of out-of-print original cast albums."

You might not like it if: You don't like musicals because you can't stand all that singing.

How to get it: Buy or borrow. It's also available to watch instantly on Netflix. Plus, I should mention that the movie includes a cameo from a very beloved figure in contemporary musical theater. Very beloved.

2 comments:

  1. I thought of you the other week when I was rewatching Daytrippers, you originally recommended this to me I think.
    I will give this a look. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also rewatched Daytrippers the other week! Must have been something in the air . . .

    ReplyDelete