Friday, June 26, 2015

Friday Flashback: Rec. #101: Some Kind of Wonderful

I decided to start doing Friday Flashbacks in case you missed some early posts the first time around. You're busy; I understand.


What: Some Kind of Wonderful is deliciously angsty. Just look at the faces on the DVD cover above. Those are the serious, intense faces of high school students struggling with socioeconomic disparity in mid-1980s California. Each of them (Amanda, Keith, Watts) gets solid character development and some great lines. Also, there are charming teen thugs!

Comparable to: I think it's safe to say Rob Thomas watched this at some point while he was creating Veronica Mars.

Representative quote: "Well, I like art, I work in a gas station, my best friend is a tomboy. These things don't fly too well in the American high school." [Keith]

Bonus representative quote: "I'd rather be with someone for the wrong reasons than alone for the right." [Amanda]

Bonus bonus representative quote: "It's better to swallow pride than blood." [Watts]

How to get it: Just look for those three intense faces.

Connection to other Wreckage: Veronica Mars (season 1 and 2) was Rec. #168.



[Originally posted 4/10/11.]


No comments:

Post a Comment