Thursday, April 24, 2014

Rec. #339: The More the Merrier


What: During WW2, there's a housing shortage in Washington, D.C. There is much apartment subletting, which makes for some interesting flatmate combinations.

This not-quite-screwball comedy stars Jean Arthur, Charles Coburn, and Joel McCrea (who seems to make a habit of having his characters' lives steered by eccentric millionaires --- see also The Palm Beach Story).

Representative dialogue:
Benjamin Dingle: What's your name?
Joe Carter: Carter.
Benjamin Dingle: Bill Carter?
Joe Carter: Joe Carter.
Benjamin Dingle: I used to know a fellow named Bill Carter.
Joe Carter: Wasn't me.
Benjamin Dingle: Don't you suppose I know that?
Joe Carter: What'd you ask for, then?
Benjamin Dingle: I guess I know what Bill Carter looked like.
Joe Carter: Not like me.
Benjamin Dingle: Oh, then, you know Bill Carter.
Joe Carter: No, I don't, but he sounds like a great guy.

Connection to previous Wreckage: Here, Joel McCrea's character is bossed around/helped by a guy named Dingle. In The Palm Beach Story (Rec. #17), his life is changed by the Wienie King. So the guy has form.

No comments:

Post a Comment