Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Rec. #338: Welcome to My Planet (Where English Is Sometimes Spoken)


What: Shannon Olson is the author's name and is also the name of this novel's main character, but try to let that go. They're not really the same person. The Shannon in the story is having a difficult time dealing with adulthood.

Opening lines: "You have such trouble living in the moment, says the counselor, sighing. I believe she's losing patience with me ... One of my problems is denial. Another is not listening, which is pretty much the same as denial. Another is not taking her advice."

Representative quote: "Maybe this is a strategy I should adopt. When my mom asks me how my thesis is going, I could answer, 'I'm learning a lot,' without extrapolating. I'm learning a lot about what it means to be addicted to television. I'm learning a lot about what it means to run your credit cards up to unmanageable levels."

How to get it: Buyable, borrowable, Kindle-able. The covers for most editions are terrible.

Connection to previous Wreckage: The sequel has a better title --- Children of God Go Bowling (Rec. #93).


No comments:

Post a Comment