Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Rec. #336: An Ideal Husband


What: Oscar Wilde tackles politics and blackmail and scandal and HATS with his trademark wit. In this adaptation, Jeremy Northam and Cate Blanchett do the politics, Rupert Everett and Minnie Driver do the quips, and Julianne Moore does the blackmail.

Representative quote: "Even you are not rich enough to buy back your past, Sir Robert. No man is."

Representative Wilde one-liner: "I love talking about nothing --- it's the only thing I know anything about."

Representative dialogue:
"My dear Mrs. Cheveley, I should make you a very bad husband."
"I don't mind bad husbands. I've had two. They amused me immensely."

How to get it: Available to stream on Netflix and Amazon.

Connection to previous Wreckage: Oscar Wilde also wrote Lady Windermere's Fan, which was Rec. #148.


No comments:

Post a Comment