Thursday, July 26, 2012

Rec. #254: The Mating Season


What: As per usual in the bright Wodehouse world, Bertie Wooster's genuine, if often befuddled, good nature gets him into trouble. Here, trouble comes in the form of a constable, a dog, young love thwarted, and the fact that almost everyone is pretending to be someone else. And, really, who wouldn't want to answer to a name like Gussie Fink-Nottle or Catsmeat for a while?

Opening lines: "While I would not go so far, perhaps, as to describe the heart as actually leaden, I must confess that on the eve of starting to do my bit of time at Deverill Hall I was definitely short on chirpiness."

Representative quote: "What with one thing and another, singing a bit too much in the bath and so on, I was about five minutes behind scheduled time in reaching the post office, and when I got there I found Gussie already at the tryst."

You might not like it if: You fear that Jeeves the paragon is peering out from the pages of the book and judging you.

How to get it: Not currently Kindle-able, but that's fine, because you wouldn't want to miss out on that great cover by Overlook Press anyway.

Connections to previous Wreckage: P.G. Wodehouse wrote a lot, and I've recommended a fair bit of it. See also Cocktail Time (Rec. #24), Jill the Reckless (Rec. #136), Much Obliged, Jeeves (Rec. #153), and Uncle Dynamite (Rec. #204).

And never forget this:


No comments:

Post a Comment