Friday, August 15, 2014

Friday Flashback: Rec. #31: Don't Point That Thing at Me

I decided to start doing Friday Flashbacks in case you missed some early posts the first time around. You're busy; I understand.


[Timely re-blog is timely! A movie adaptation of the Mortdecai books is coming out in 2015. 
Worryingly, it does not star Dylan Moran.]

What: Charlie Mortdecai is an art dealer without conscience who finds himself in some, er, . . . challenging situations. 

[Sidebar: Why is the amoral art dealer such a popular character? I'm facing one of my bookcases now, and I can spot three or four examples of this without moving my head. Hmm, something to contemplate.] 

Anyway, please enjoy Kyril Bonfiglioli's book, which is full of immoral, very sarcastically funny, international hijinks.

Comparable to: Like someone let Dylan Moran loose in a P.G. Wodehouse novel. But with more torture scenes. Oh, do you like the show Archer? You will like this.

Representative quote: "'Idle, intelligent, devious; a survivor,' read the summary of my character on my last school report, and I have not changed."

You might not like it if: Charlie Mortdecai's posh, insider-y references bug you.

How to get it: Expect reprints once the film hits theaters. Also, look for the sequels: Something Nasty in the Woodshed and After You with the Pistol. Or, you can get all three in one volume (The Mortdecai Trilogy). Someone else also finished a fourth Mortdecai book (The Great Mortdecai Moustache Mystery) after Bonfiglioli died.



[Originally posted 1/30/11.]


No comments:

Post a Comment