Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Rec. #320: Pretty Little Head


What: Nellie McKay's second album was much-delayed, mainly due to disputes with her label (don't tell Nellie her album is too long, Columbia; don't do it). The result is worth it, though. In the 23 songs on Pretty Little Head, McKay sings about gay marriage, animal testing, Brecht, tenant rights, and the joys of food.

She also duets with both k.d. lang and Cyndi Lauper, plays the cello and synthesizer, sings in French, and even yodels. Yes, yodels.

Representative lyrics:
"Buy me a billionaire
And maybe I'll forget
Maybe I'll accept
Write me a Baudelaire
And tie me uppercut
If you're going up"

Connections to previous Wreckage: McKay's first album, Get Away from Me, was Rec. #206. She was also featured on the David Byrne/Fatboy Slim project Here Lies Love (Rec. #187).

No comments:

Post a Comment