Thursday, April 4, 2013

Rec. #283: My Mad Fat Diary, series 1



What: Set in the ripe middle of mid-'90s Cool Britannia, My Mad Fat Diary is told from the perspective of the immensely likable Rae Earl, 16 years old. She's just left a psychiatric institute after four months, and her friends --- old and new --- have no idea.

At just six episodes, the show managed to gut-punch me at least seven times, which is pretty impressive. It also turned me into the type of person who yells things at the screen ("Noooooo!!!" "I can't, I can't, I can't" "Shut the %$#@ up, Chloe!" "Gah!" "Yesssssss" "Oh my gods, I'm going to break something over his head" Etc.).

Opening lines: "Un-shitting-believable."

You might not like it if: You don't want to watch something that will make you run the gamut of emotions, from cackling laughter to bawling tears, from the-world-is-a-terrible-place-leave-me-alone to absolute joy-dancing.

How to get it: If you're in the U.S., off to YouTube you go. Although if you happen to have a region-free disc player, the DVD is available now from the U.K.

Connections to previous Wreckage: I already mentioned the show as part of List #26 (Content That Has Actually Caused Me to Throw Something Across a Room).


No comments:

Post a Comment