Monday, October 21, 2019

Rec. #831: This Way Up




What: Aine (played by creator Aisling Bea) folds back into her life after a breakdown. This Way Up, which also features Sharon Horgan and Aasif Mandvi, is largely about using humor as a coping mechanism for bone-deep loneliness, and it has the tone to match.

Representative quote: "A man goes mental, and all of a sudden he's Bob Dylan with a fucking guitar. But a woman has one more emotion than she should, and all of a sudden, I'm Lindsay fucking Lohan."

Comparable to: I've seen several people compare This Way Up to Fleabag. While I know it's meant to be complimentary, it's actually kinda sexist -- the shows aren't very similar beyond "female creator/star in a comedy/drama about a woman."

The plot and themes did remind me of a grown-up version of my beloved My Mad Fat Diary.

How to get it: This Way Up (needs a better title! I am always double-checking this one!) is streaming now on Hulu.

Connections to previous Wreckage: My Mad Fat Diary* is Rec. #283 and SSoW #25. It's on List #26 and List #37. It is also streaming on Hulu.




* Also, now's as good a time as any to point out that MMFD was one of the first jobs for Jodie Comer, who's now - ahem - killing it on Killing Eve.


No comments:

Post a Comment