Friday, December 6, 2013

Friday Flashback: Rec. #43: The Gift

I decided to start doing Friday Flashbacks in case you missed some early posts the first time around. You're busy; I understand.


What: The Gift is a Southern Gothic thriller with a noteworthy cast, including Cate Blanchett, Giovanni Ribisi, Greg Kinnear, Hilary Swank, Keanu Reeves, Katie Holmes, Gary Cole, and J.K. Simmons. Director Sam Raimi keeps the whole thing humming with a constant buzz of low-level suspense mixed with dread. Plus, Cate Blanchett basically gives a master class in acting.

Comparable to: Some understated supernatural elements in combination with the suspense might remind you of The Sixth Sense.

Representative quote: "I don't know. I guess I just don't believe there are any great mysteries in life. I kind of figure what you see is what you get."

How to get it: It should be readily available to rent/borrow, or you could buy it super-cheap.



[Originally posted 2/22/11.]

No comments:

Post a Comment