Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Rec. #307: Please Like Me


What: In this Australian television series, young Josh is dealing with a lot: his girlfriend's broken up with him, his best friend/housemate is in a highly fraught/annoying relationship, his mum's attempted suicide, and, oh yes, Josh himself has realized he's gay.

It's all a bit much for someone who would prefer to avoid all confrontation or discussions of feelings of any kind.

Opening lines: "Why can't I ever just let myself properly enjoy things? Why can't I ever just be in the moment, you know? I know today is brilliant --- it's sunny, we're in the first world, we just ordered an $18 sundae --- but all I can think about is my rubbish face."

Representative dialogue:
"Are you sure you don't have feelings that you might want to share with me in some kind of talk?"
"Yeah."
"It can be good to share your feelings."
"Nope. Nooooooo. Nah."

How to get it: This airs on ABC, but maybe not the ABC you're thinking of --- it's the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. If you're not in Australia, it's over to YouTube for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment