Friday, September 27, 2013

Friday Flashback: Rec. #264: Selected Poetry of Edna St. Vincent Millay

I decided to start doing Friday Flashbacks in case you missed some early posts the first time around. You're busy; I understand.



What: Another installation of my continuing erratic series "Maybe try reading some poetry?" This time, it's Edna St. Vincent Millay, who combined the sonnet-craft of Milton with the dry sighs of Dorothy Parker and the home life of Tilda Swinton.

Here are some first lines to get you started:

"The room is full of you!" --- "Interim"

"My candle burns at both ends;/ It will not last the night;/ But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—/ It gives a lovely light." --- "First Fig"

"To what purpose, April, do you return again?/ Beauty is not enough." --- "Spring"

"We talk of taxes, and I call you friend" --- "Sonnet 1"

Connections to previous Wreckage: More poetry! Monologue of a Dog (Rec. #19), The Best of It (Rec. #50), and Ripple Effect (Rec. #118). Also, you can see some of the aforementioned dry sighs of Dorothy Parker in What Fresh Hell Is This? (Rec. #237).



[Originally posted 9/20/12.]

No comments:

Post a Comment