Saturday, November 26, 2011

Gift Idea #1: Blackout/All Clear

One of my good friends suggested I make some end-of-the-year gift recommendations. OK, thanks, I will!


What: Blackout/All Clear is a gorgeous, award-winning, solid two-volume novel by Connie Willis that returns us to her world of time-traveling historians. I fell in love with this World War II story as soon as characters from The Importance of Being Earnest started blowing up tanks. I stayed in love with it until the end, even though it often made me so anxious I felt like vomiting.

Who to give it to: Connie Willis fans will be so happy to encounter Badri, Colin, and Mr. Dunworthy again. And WWII buffs will certainly have a good soak in the vivid period detail. Beyond that, you are probably the best judge about who among your acquaintance would most appreciate an intricate, clever, harrowing puzzle that is 1,100+ pages long.

Gifting tip: You know what would make you the best gift giver ever? If you made a little timeline for the recipient to scribble on while reading. Something with bimonthly intervals marked from December 1939 to June 1945. I cannot recommend this course of action highly enough for any reader of Blackout/All Clear.

Connections to previous Wreckage: You could also give Willis's To Say Nothing of the Dog (Rec. #100) to anyone who hasn't read it yet.

2 comments:

  1. Yes! These would make a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been waiting a long time for this book, and it doesn't disappoint. The style and subject are familiar so it's like an old friend coming to dinner and telling new and interesting stories. I understand people's disappointment that it ends abruptly-but just think, we have a 500 page story that we know is great waiting for us in the fall.

    ReplyDelete