Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Rec. #81: The Catherine Tate Show


What: In this British sketch series, comedian Catherine Tate transforms herself into a bunch of recurring characters. The most popular ones are sullen schoolgirl Lauren ("Am I bovvered?") and irascible Nan ("[expletive] cackle [expletive]"). My personal favorites include: the posh family who are constantly thrown into a tizzy by daily life; a woman who goads a reluctant co-worker into making impossible guesses; and a happy couple who find everyday situations hilarious. You'll just have to trust me that they're much funnier than the descriptions. Plus, Tate gets bonus points for using a Kirsty MacColl song for her opening credits.

Comparable to: Tracey Ullman. Or a one-woman Saturday Night Live.

Representative quote: [OK, really, just go to YouTube. Here's a clip of the annoying co-worker. Here's a whole collection of clips with the posh family. Here's the easily amused couple. Here's a nice starter clip for Lauren Cooper. And here's Nan.]

You might not like it if: You should be able to judge for yourself after you watch a few clips.

How to get it: All three series of the show are available to watch instantly on Netflix.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite Catherine Tate character is Derek, because she goes out of her way to make the character seem gay when denying it. Homolulu is my favorite skit: Just because a man spends a little too much on hand cream, and knows all of the lines to “What About Eve?” you accuse him of being a receiver of swollen goods! I have all of the episodes recorded on my DVR and my DISH Network employee Slingbox sends the recordings or live TV to my laptop or iPhone wherever I am.

    ReplyDelete