Friday, October 9, 2015

Friday Flashback: Rec. #285: I Know I Am, But What Are You?

I decided to start doing Friday Flashbacks in case you missed some early posts the first time around. You're busy; I understand.



What: This collection of essays by Daily Show correspondent [note: and soon-to-be new late night talk show host!] Samantha Bee covers a lot of ground: 

Camping, inadvertently tagging along on a honeymoon, various failed parenting strategies of two sets of parents (plus grandparents), a teenage crush on Jesus followed by a car-jacking spree, working at a penis clinic, and starring in a children's stage production of Sailor Moon.

Comparable to: This is what I wanted Bossypants and Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? to be like. (I liked both of those books well enough, but I really liked this one.) Maybe it's because neither Tina Fey nor Mindy Kaling are Canadian.

Opening lines: "Every once in a while I think about what my life would be like if my parents had stayed together and not separated when I was still a baby. Obviously, it would involve a regular commute to the maximum-security penitentiary to visit whichever of them had committed the murder that signaled the official end to their marriage."

Representative quote: "Our sexual chemistry was similar to a sea cucumber that sits motionless on the cold, dark ocean floor and dreams of dry-humping a nearby scallop."

You might not like it if: You're squeamish.

How to get it: I listened to the audiobook, read by Bee, and I think the book probably works best that way.



[Originally posted 4/11/13.]

No comments:

Post a Comment