Friday, August 29, 2014

Friday Flashback: Rec. #30: Misalliance

I decided to start doing Friday Flashbacks in case you missed some early posts the first time around. You're busy; I understand.



What: If, when you hear the name George Bernard Shaw, you think of Pygmalion or Major Barbara, you might not realize that Shaw is very, very funny. Misalliance is a joyful, ironic, fast farce. 

It has the requisite "house in the English countryside" setting and, as per usual, plenty of couplings and uncouplings as the younger generation of a family breaks through the older generation's Victorian mindset. 

Plus, we get the incomparable Lina Szczepanowska*, who does her part to shake things up.

Comparable to: If you like Oscar Wilde, you will probably like this. Fewer aphorisms, but more character development.

Representative quote: "Papa, buy the brute for me."

You might not like it if: You don't really like reading plays.

How to get it: In print, it's probably going to show up in a volume with other Shaw plays, in which case I recommend getting the Misalliance/Heartbreak House combo. Or, you can download it to your Kindle. 

[Also, I have yet to see a really great production of this play that I adore, so someone please make that happen. Thank you.]

Connections to previous Wreckage: Misalliance was also part of List #7: Lesser-Known Books from Some Big(gish) Names.

George Bernard Shaw makes an appearance in The Tournament (Rec. #12). An excerpt: "It's hard to know which was more impressive, Shaw's play or the remarks he made about his intentions before he started."


* Fun fact: When I was in high school, I used one of Lina's monologues as an audition piece because I was on a Shaw kick at the time and I liked the character so much. It is possible that I am quite an odd duck.


[Originally posted 1/29/11.]


No comments:

Post a Comment