Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Rec. #302: The PowerBook


What: At the turn between the twentieth and twenty-first centuries, author Jeanette Winterson leaped into the cyber future with a prescient novel about online identities and the boundaries of interactivity. It's also about, you know, sex and tulips and stuff.

Opening lines: "To avoid discovery I stay on the run. To discover things for myself I stay on the run."

Representative quote: "I keep telling this story - different people, different places, different times - but always you, always me, always this story, because a story is a tight rope between two worlds."

You might not like it if: You keep getting confused about who this "I" person is.

How to get it: It really makes sense to read this one on a Kindle (or other eReader of your choice).

Connections to previous Wreckage: I first mentioned The PowerBook during Personal Wreck Week (List #4).

Winterson is also the author of The Passion (Rec. #66) and Weight (Rec. #272).

No comments:

Post a Comment