Friday, March 8, 2013

Friday Flashback: Rec. #74: Micmacs

I decided to start doing Friday Flashbacks in case you missed some early posts the first time around. You're busy; I understand.


What: The French film Micmacs contains some of my favorite things: A group of misfits banding together, a caper in the name of a progressive cause, and gorgeous shots by Jean-Pierre Jeunet. The director of Amelie gives us the story of Bazil, whose life has been all but ruined by two big companies that manufacture weapons. He and his aforementioned band of misfits concoct a complicated revenge scheme against their little corner of the military-industrial complex. Or, as Amelie would say, they have a stratagem.

Comparable to: Like Buster Keaton had a bunch of eccentric friends who liked to tinker with junk. But very beautiful.

Representative quote: 
"I'm Bazil." 
"I know. You have a slug in your brain box. I know a family who'll adopt you."

You might not like it if: Too much whimsy makes your brain box ache.

How to get it: Watch instantly on Amazon, or watch on disc in most other ways.



[Originally posted 4/14/11.]

No comments:

Post a Comment