Tuesday, January 1, 2013

List #22: A Few of the Best Books I Read in 2012


The Beginning of Spring, Penelope Fitzgerald: "With the ruthlessness of the timid, Miss Kinsman was coming after him now to suggest that she would be suitable for the post of governess at 22 Lipka Street."


Fadeaway Girl, Martha Grimes: "I cleared my throat, which at least showed I could make a sound, balled up my fist in front of my mouth as if I were about to cough, rehearsed the word 'hello' in my head to see if it was a real word, then blurted out: 'My name is Emma Graham.""


The Red House, Mark Haddon: "Behind everything there is a house. Behind everything there is always a house, compared to which every other house is larger or colder or more luxurious."


Random Harvest, James Hilton: "This idea of unsameness as the pattern of life meant that (as Blampied put it) they didn't think there was anything very odd in anyone being a little odd."


Bel Canto, Ann Patchett: "It makes you wonder. All the brilliant things we might have done with our lives if we only suspected we knew how."


The Happy Exiles, Felicity Shaw: "The only things he was afraid of were boredom and blackmail."

No comments:

Post a Comment