Friday, June 22, 2012

Friday Flashback: Rec. #155: Garfunkel and Oates

I decided to start doing Friday Flashbacks in case you missed some earlier posts the first time around. You're busy; I understand.


What: Garfunkel and Oates are Riki Lindhome and Kate Micucci. You might also know them as "the bulimic dandelion from Pushing Daisies" and "the babysitter/ petsitter/ eldersitter from Raising Hope." Together as a musical act, their songs include "Pregnant Women Are Smug," "I Don't Understand Job," and "Running With Chicken." Warning: After you listen to "Pregnant Women Are Smug," you will likely have the chorus stuck in your head for the rest of your life and will be in danger of actually singing it when you see a pregnant woman.

Comparable to: Flight of the Conchords, but female, not male. And the U.S., not New Zealand.

Representative quote: "He doesn't think I know, but I know, I know, I've always known./ He doesn't think it shows, but it shows, for sure, it's always shown." --- from "Gay Boyfriend"

You might not like it if: The only comedy songs you listen to are those by "Weird Al" Yankovic.

How to get it: Well, writing this rec gave me an excuse to watch all their videos on YouTube (ahem, again). They also have two albums, Music Songs and All Over Your Face. And they're developing a pilot for HBO because of course they are.


[Originally posted 6/30/11.]

Update: They now have a third album, Slippery When Moist.

No comments:

Post a Comment