Monday, April 9, 2012

Rec. #227: Calamity and Other Stories (abbrev.)


What: Collection of stories, Daphne Kalotay, pivotal moments in ordinary lives, piano lessons, garden party, shower singing, Bleecker Street, poetry, recovering, worms, French class, prom, dry cleaners, Brookline, electric outlet, smoking, ugly house, translation, Florence, ride from the airport, emergency landing

Opening lines: "My mother believed that her entire life would have somehow been different had she been given piano lessons as a girl. She said this often, with a little sigh that made me feel I had better run through my scales one more time."

Representative quote: "I had never met a poet before. After knowing Valerie's father, I was under the impression, for years to come, that poets were unconditionally cheerful people."

Connection to previous Wreckage: Mentioned previously during Personal Wreck Week (List #4).

No comments:

Post a Comment