Friday, January 13, 2012

Friday Flashback: Rec. #62: Brick

I decided to start doing Friday Flashbacks in case you missed some early posts the first time around. You're busy; I understand.


What: High school noir at its high school noir-iest. There's a loner trying to solve a mystery, a femme fatale, highly stylized dialogue, characters with names like Tangles and The Brain, a missing girlfriend, and an underground crime ring. Also there is a scene with a table lamp in a van! It is maybe my favorite part! Because there is a table lamp! And it is in a van!

Comparable to: Oh, you know, all those other highly stylized high school noir films.

Representative quote: "Maybe I'll just sit here and bleed at you."

You might not like it if: It is too stylized, too high school, too noir.

How to get it: Available most places, but here's a suggestion: Turn on the closed captioning or subtitles*. These characters are high schoolers, which means they can be mumblers. You won't want to miss what they're saying.

Connection to previous Wreckage: Want more noir? Check out Rec. #47: I Married a Dead Man.

* Something you should know about me: My hearing is fine, but I watch everything with closed captioning turned on. I've done this since middle school. I don't like missing words.

[Originally posted 3/2/11.]

No comments:

Post a Comment