Thursday, September 22, 2011

List #10: 4 Internet Crushes

Because that's what Twitter is for, right?

1. John Allison (@badmachinery)

I strongly suspect that the creator of Bad Machinery (Rec. #138) is himself an elaborate fiction, because he seems too good to be true --- except for the fact that he lives thousands of miles away. [Although I believe he does underestimate certain people's (my) willingness to relocate.]

"Baby I'm gonna be so nice to you. I'm gonna put all your hats in alphabetical order."

"If I'd married well, my calendar would be clogged with charity banquets. But I messed up, missed out on the good dowries."


2. John Darnielle (@mountain_goats)

Yes, yes, yes, he is the indie rock band the Mountain Goats. But, more importantly, he says things like this on Twitter: "I can only ever be the robber because absolutely no-one, not even songbirds or wordless beasts of the field, will believe me as the cop."


3. Richard Lawson (@rilaws)

Pop culture commentary, ahoy. This is pretty much the only bit of Gawker you need. He has pop culture guilt-gushes, is almost uniformly sarcastic, and even has a little back-and-forth going with Jennifer Ehle. (Plus, he replied to me once on Twitter, and that was fun.)

"Eddie Cibrian's Don Draper impersonation is the saddest thing since La Pieta."



4. Jay Smooth (@jsmooth995)

He is always, always the voice of well-reasoned, articulate, compassionate common-sense. Get thee to his video commentaries on everything from Rick Perry to the BET Awards.

"But by then, it's too late, because the 'what they are' conversation is a rhetorical Bermuda Triangle, where everything drowns in a sea of empty posturing, until somebody just blames it all on hip-hop and we forget the whole thing ever happened."


[Or, if you're usually more inclined the other way, may I suggest Sarah Haskins (@sarah_haskins), Mindy Kaling (@mindykaling), and Martha Plimpton (@marthaplimpton)?]

No comments:

Post a Comment