Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Rec. #123: Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical


What: I had been expecting this musical satire of the cult classic 1936 propaganda film to be full of cheesy, campy goodness. What a nice surprise to find that it is also genuinely clever! The actors --- including Kristen Bell, Christian Campbell, Ana Gasteyer, Alan Cumming, and Steven Weber --- are clearly having fun. You probably will, too.

Comparable to: Kind of Little Shop of Horrors-ish. Except with marijuana instead of carnivorous plants.

Representative quote: "There's blood on my hands, and mud on my name. My id threw a party and everyone came. My innocence ravished, my virtue devoured, I can't count the strangers with whom I have showered!"

Bonus representative quote: [in church] "The wafers now don’t taste so great. They won’t transubstantiate."

You might not like it if: You're afraid that this is a gateway musical and that after you try it you'll soon be hitting harder stuff, like Kander and Ebb. Maybe even a spot of Sondheim.

How to get it: Rent it or buy it. Singing along is encouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment